Well, the last 12 months have been quite dreadful, in terms of health and happiness. There were many good times, but in between those were many extended periods of colds, the flu and stomach problems. All of these problems are exacerbated by stress, and what could be more stressful than suddenly going into third level education, studying a subject (singing) which relies heavily on your stamina and good health!
Though it’s been a struggle, I do believe that you can learn from every experience, whether you’re having fun or not. I’ve learned that I have some serious anxiety issues around the singing workload, and I need to learn to cope with that.
I didn’t make any new year’s resolutions this year, but I plan to make little changes along the way. Big resolutions overwhelm me, and I feel pressure and then guilt if I don’t magically transform myself. So this month I have given up Facebook. And each week and month I will set myself small goals and tasks, all centred around making me a happier, healthier person. One week that could be ‘make cookies this week and eat them’ or maybe it will be ‘Run ten minutes every day this week.’
Ultimately, this project will be about listening to myself and trying to do my best to be better. If I am healthy and happy, I know I’ll be more efficient! I am also not going to beat myself up if I miss something. This is a positive decision, not another excuse to feel stressed out!
So this week’s tasks are:
1) No dairy until next Wednesday. (one week. It makes me ill. No brainer.
2) Walk 60 minutes every day. (I’m not in college every day this week, so my usual tearing around the place has ceased! I miss my daily walking around.
3) Drink 2L of water every day. (Again, being out of the college routine has changed this!)
4) Make soup. (Soup is delicious.)
5) Pick a spot in the house to decorate in a January theme. Take a photo. Feel artistic.
There you have it! Project Me! I’d be thrilled if anyone would like to join in! Leave me a comment or tweet me @amysnow and tell me you’re in! Be good to yourself this week/month /year!!